Wednesday, April 22, 2026

Built to Be Held, Forced to Let Go

Pick an everyday object. Write from its perspective as it observes human behavior over time. Focus on what it notices that humans ignore.


Built to Be Held, Forced to Let Go


I am a front door handle.


Cold. Polished. Forgettable.


At least, that’s what most people think.


But I remember everything.


Every rushed morning where someone yanks me open like the world is chasing them. Every quiet return home where the grip is softer, slower, heavier. I can tell the difference between excitement and exhaustion without ever seeing a face.


There’s the kid who used to swing on me like I was part of a playground. He doesn’t do that anymore. Now he barely touches me, just enough to get inside before disappearing into whatever world lives behind his screen.


There’s the couple. They used to leave together, fingers intertwined, laughter spilling into the hallway before the door even closed. Now, they leave separately. Same door. Same handle. Different energy. The silence between them is louder than anything I’ve ever felt.


People think I’m just a tool. Something to get from one place to another.


But I’m the moment in between.


I’m the hesitation before someone walks out after an argument.

I’m the deep breath before someone walks in to bad news.

I’m the pause. The decision. The weight of it.


No one ever stops and looks at me.

No one realizes how much of their life passes through my grip.


And maybe that’s the point.


Because humans don’t notice the small things holding everything together.

Not until something breaks.


And one day, I will.


Not dramatically. Not loudly. Just enough resistance… just enough failure… to make someone stop and think:


When did this start to fall apart?


But by then, it won’t be about me.


It never was.

No comments:

Post a Comment